1/27/14

From Dumpster to Adorable (Drawerless Dresser Edition)

Ready for part three?

Well you're here already so you might as well at least scroll down and peek at the pictures!

Backstory: I was having a 'mom'ent back in March when I saw these diamonds in the very-rough and decided to bring them home for some love and paint. My husband didn't share my vision for this drawerless wonder:


I mean...what good is a dresser with no drawers!?! But I was very convincing and still-pretty-newly married so it was fairly easy to sucker him into bringing it home and setting it up in the basement to start the metamorphosis into something absolutely adorable.

Queue the Before and Afters!
 
Epic transformation?!!? Awesome overhaul!?!? Totally-tenacious-one-of-a-kind piece of furniture art that would make any home proud to contain it!?!?!
 
Ehh...not really. 
I'm just being honest here...
 
BUT (and it's a BIG 'but'...let me tell ya! ha...see how I did that?) for the price of some elbow grease, a piece of MDF, some bracket holders, some woven baskets, paint, and stain we have ourselves something that could actually be put in the home without being a complete eyesore and is no longer going to make it's way into a landfill. I say that's a total win-win scenario!
 
ok ok...here's one more lil look - Eat your heart out Church Road Dumpster!!
 
 
I'm still throwing around the idea of putting on little chalkboard placards on the front of the baskets but I'm not completely sold on it yet...hmmm, there might be some more updating to come!

3 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful- I've been looking for a dresser to to an upcycle like this! What method worked best for removing the lower shelf frames so that the sides/back are flush and no remnants of the frames are left over? I've got the usual array of power tools but don't have a saws-all... not sure if that level of tool would be required? Thanks! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie!
      I believe the hubs used an oscillating power tool to work off the front pieces and then we removed the particle board backing to remove the back and side supports. We created quite a few holes/gouges that had to be filled with wood putty in the process though. Good luck with yours! I love seeing all the furniture 'upcycling' out there!

      - Lori

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips Lori- I've been eyeing one of those tools for a while now, so I guess it's time to talk to the husband and tell him that I really really need one!

      Delete