4/17/12

They call me mellow yellow...

ok...you got me...nobody calls me mellow yellow. Thank you for pointing that out and taking all the joy out of my life.

I know the grey and yellow thing has come and probably gone...but I didn't have a house then...I have a house NOW...and a dining room that I painted grey...and a crap-ton load of amber glasses from a wedding!! So, guess who wants to go all grellow in their dining room? ('Grellow' is my new uber-cool term for grey+yellow....it's like the Brangelina of color combos)  Yup...that would be ME.

Queue inspirational photos!


I just loved the pop of yellow against the cherry wood  in the first room...and that watercolor horse is just candy-coated loveliness. The second room has this old world feel to it that yells charm...in a polite voice with a southern drawl. SO...I did what I do (searched the internets and then photo edited like a crazy person) and came up with this hot mess...


Since we aren't up for painting the room again any time soon (and I love the color), our base color is staying grey. AND, my darling husband has a cherry dining set that I was firmly informed I was never, under any circumstances, allowed to paint, sand, strip, or otherwise mar in any way. So trying to turn the dining table into a mirrored table like inspirational room #1 is...um...officially off the table. My budget for this room is...let's just say it's going to come down to elbow grease and Oops paint...so I really have to use what I've got or what I can get really cheap.


1. My Dining Room as it is now - Behr Fashion Grey on the walls, white wainscoting, and dark walnut stain on the floor.
2. My colors: Some sort of teal or seafoam or turquoise (not quite sure yet), Behr Fashion Grey, Mustard Yellow Oops paint from Home Depot, and Dwell Studio fabric in Porte Charcoal I got for $3 a yard at a discount fabric store.
3. &  4. Similar styles to my existing china hutch and sideboard but definitely not exact replicas...I'd like to go dark with the hutch and yellow with the sideboard.
5. My incredibly large collection of amber glassware..you can get something similar here.
6. The chandelier that I'd like my chandelier to aspire to be...maybe with some silver leafing or spray paint and/or rub n buff and/or crystals?!?! I'd like something that looks like antique silver.
7. Some antique silver accent pieces like these you can get at Amazon.
8. I love the curvy-ness of this chair! My chairs are cherry like these but I'm hoping the Dwell Studio fabric will impart some of its curvyness to my otherwise straight chairs.
9. Drapery that gives the room some luxuriousness like these faux silk panels from Target.
10. I badly want a watercolor painting like the inspiration photo and I have a thing for sparrows...I might have to get one like this one I have pictured or this or this from Etsy!
11. Carrying on the little bird theme and injecting a little more teal into the room with these sweet girls from Amazon.

Final photo edited representation of my dining room?


The scale is all wrong and my furniture basically looks nothing like what i've got in the pic...but I'm going for the bigger picture here...and grellow is looking like a pretty fine fellow indeed!
Now i'm off to copywrite the term grellow and raiding all my local hardware stores' cache of Oops paint...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment