3/30/12

The Making Of: A Dysart Date (Part 2)




That's right...I succumbed to the cutesy commercials promising the ever elusive 'One' and joined the online dating community. They told me I could 'Make Love Happen' and 'It's Okay to Look' - which sounds kinda creepy and slightly voyeuristic but, obviously, I wasn't above all that! Three years, people....THREE! I'd gone from doubting my appeal to questioning my existence altogether when it came to men.

I figured it couldn't be THAT bad...

It. was. Terrible.

Oh, Mat...how you deceived me! A slow, agonizing process where I had to sludge through countless 'winks' from mid-life-crises-era older men, bad (and by 'bad' I mean 'disgusting') pickup lines, slightly-misogynistic-because-I'm-not-over-my-ex types, the dudes that have a woman or a beer or NO SHIRT ON in every. single. picture!...the list of wrongs go on and on and on.

But Mat had trapped me into a three month commitment that involved money...and if there is something you can say about me it's that no matter how bad it is, if I paid for it I'm going to make it work. So I played the online dating game like I was down by 2 and there were only seconds remaining...I winked left...I winked right...I bypassed that guy that asked for my number in his first e-mail...I saw an opening at the last moment and scored BIG TIME! It was like speed-dating and pen-pal-ing and facebook-stalking all rolled into one!

I found my Batman and he STILL makes all the difference in the world. ;)

Anyway, two first dates, a year-plus-some dating, a five-month engagement, and one wedding later...I had my 'One'. So, I guess Mat knew what he was talking about...but don't tell him I said that!

No comments:

Post a Comment