3/19/12

The Making Of: A Dysart Date (Part 1)

"Honey...you've resigned yourself to being single for the rest of your life..."

WHAM! Talk about getting hit over the head with the truth! I was sitting on the couch and had just gorged myself on mashed potatoes, turkey, and gravy. I was in one of those euphoric and slightly catatonic points in the digesting process when my Aunt Diane laid that one on me. I opened my mouth to tell her it wasn't true...I was still hopeful...I hadn't totally given up yet...!!

...and then closed my mouth again without saying a word.

Oh how the truth hurts! My delightful Thanksgiving meal started to turn on me. Armed with indigestion and righteous indignation, I said,
"I have not! I don't NEED to be part of a couple. I've been so blessed in my life...I'm happy with whatever God gives me!"

Which is just another way of saying, "I'm TOTALLY resigned to being single!" without actually saying it.
You see, she was pointing something out that I hadn't really accepted about myself but had started to become more and more aware of lately - I was becoming CatLady. Please do not confuse this with becoming Catwoman. CatLady is LIKE Catwoman minus some very important things like sex appeal and uber-hot arm candy/archnemesis Batman.

Catwoman = desirable, unattainable, and minxy.
CatLady = eccentric, unapproachable, and flakey.

Basically, Batman makes ALL the difference in the world!

It didn't help that I had been randomly adopted the month before by an actual stray cat (note: she adopted me...NOT the other way around!) and I hadn't been on a date...or even asked on a date...or even been 'eye scanned' by a hot guy in over three YEARS. It was a sad state of affairs and I was creeping ever closer to CatLady-ness. (oh the HORROR!)

Enter my personal friend, Mat Chdotcom...

(To Be Continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment